These terms and conditions are provided so I can establish an upfront agreement of what exactly happens when you work with me. Please contact me if further clarity or reassurance is needed.
These general terms and conditions below apply to the work done by me (Taylor Huff) for the Client (you):
- I will provide proofreading services that are first agreed upon by myself and the Client.
- The Client is not obligated to provide me work, and I am not obligated to accept any work provided by the Client.
- The work will be done at unsupervised times and places by me using my own equipment.
- I will not subcontract any part of a proofreading project to third parties.
- I acknowledge that I am self-employed, responsible for my own income tax, and will not claim benefits granted to the Client’s employees.
- I am not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Before the proofreading work begins, the Client and I will agree, in writing, to the project terms:
- The method by which the proofreading service will be done (e.g., Microsoft Word, PDF)
- The method by which the document will be annotated (e.g., Track Changes in Microsoft Word)
- The length of time required to complete the service, as advised by me
- A fee for the service, based on a quotation supplied by me, in writing, after my assessment of the material to be proofread and the amount of time needed to complete the service
- Any additional fees, if any
- The date by which the document(s) will be delivered to me by the Client
- The latest date by which the document(s) will be returned, after consulting with the Client
Note: If, upon my receipt of the document(s) to be proofread (or at an early stage of proofreading), I notice that exceptionally more work is needed than expected beforehand, or the work is beyond the scope of my knowledge, I may recalculate the fee and/or deadline or simply decline the service.
- A quotation for fees is provided after an assessment of the document(s) and a consultation with the Client regarding what is required.
- The Client will pay me a fee per word that is explained on my Services page.
- The total fee for the service is non negotiable once the Client and I have agreed on it, unless the Client extends the word count of the document or requests additional services. On these terms, an additional quotation and job completion date will be agreed upon.
- I will provide the Client an invoice promptly upon completion of the proofreading service.
- Payment should be received by me within a specific amount of time, agreed prior, after receipt of the invoice or within 30 days, as explained by Late Payment Interest Penalties, 5 CFR 1315.10.
- I choose to abide by the common editorial rates set forth by the Editorial Freelancers Association (EFA).
- If any unusual or difficult circumstances arise on my end (e.g., bereavement, accident, etc.), I will contact the Client in writing as soon as possible and renegotiate the time frame and/or the cost of the service.
- If, after sending the document(s) that need proofreading, the Client chooses to cancel the service while I am in the process of proofreading said document(s), I reserve the right to charge the total fee for the service.
- If the Client chooses to cancel the service before I begin proofreading the document(s), no fees will be charged.
- At any time, both the Client and I have the right to cancel the service if there is a serious infringement of its terms.
- I will keep all aspects of the service confidential, and no parts will be made known to anyone except the Client and their contractors without written permission beforehand.
- I will not upload any of the Client’s documents to other websites or distribute them to third parties unless I am explicitly given permission to do so, in writing, by the Client.
- Both the Client and I have the right to keep each other’s contact details on record, if necessary.
- The Client’s document(s) and information will be purged after thirty (30) days if I have not established them as a “Client for life” (see my Services page).
- All content to be proofread that is provided to me by the Client is owned by the Client.
- After the Client’s payment of my invoice, any content altered or created by me as part of the proofreading process will become the property of the Client unless otherwise negotiated.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- For information on my 100% Satisfaction guarantee, please visit this page.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of the United States, and both the Client and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court of the United States.